9.02.2008

Hurricane Gustav

We finally managed to escape Tornado Alley just to land ourselves in hurricane country. Go figure. This weekend we had the excitement of waiting to learn if Gustav was heading in our direction. We waited for the word of evacuation and kept a steady eye on the weather channel. I was freaking out, but I really do think it was for the best. The church has been telling us forever about food storage and 72 hour kits. Jon and I always talked about putting at least a kit together, but never did it until this weekend! Packing a kit that is kid friendly is interesting. I think 3 days would be our limit! We hit up Sam's and grabbed granola bars, Slimfast, fruit snacks, jerkey, water, gatorade, and other random snacks that if we had to hit the road with the other 3 million people we share this town with, we could keep Sevy content! I had a bag packed, a box of diapers ready, and the best first aid kit you have ever seen! We were overly thankful that in the end, we were going to be fine! In fact, when I woke up this morning, I was expecting at least a horrible wind and rain storm, only to find blue skies! It's been breezy and beautiful! At least we are now prepared for the rest of hurricane season!

7 comments:

Candice said...

I remember doing that before a storm in Washington D.C. (we did not die, by the way). I love that you mentioned it. Food storage and emergency kits were my goals this week. You remind me to fulfill them. I ate my last two 72 hour kits...so I guess I need new ones.

I am glad that you are still alive, Trin, and Happy Anniversary! I will try to tell Teik and Sev to let you two be more lovey dovey like I am sure you want to be you PDA violators :)

Eric and Hayley said...

Hurricanes are crazy stuff! On my mission Hurricane Ivan and Katrina hit some of our areas...so I understand the drama of them, but having to pack for a child too would be a whole different story! Glad y'all are good:)

Nancy said...

my drama with 72hr kits is that you never seem to be able to rotate them fast enough to keep up with the kids, but at least we try. Water is good to have, and flashlights.

Candice said...

Because of your influence, I now have consolidated a 3600 calorie bar, flashlight, whistle, mirror, flint...and, well, that is all so far. I need to gather water (Nancy's comment reminded me of that) and some clothes and such.

Danielle Harris said...

Yay, another hurricane buddy! I hope Ike stays away from both of us! Good luck.

Rachel Porter said...

Glad to know that you guys are safe. Last week I went to a spin class. It kicked my butt! I do not know how you were able to teach that so far into your pregnancy. You rock Kat! I hope you are enjoying Texas.

squiresclan said...

Hey it's your cousin jennie. I saw you have a blog and candice sent me your email address so i sent you an invite to my blog. Glad to hear you are all safe and your children are adorable, i look forward to getting to catch up with you some :)